|The finished product|
I have a little boy who loves two things: Charlie Brown and stuff made by his mama.
Actually, he loves all the Peanuts characters. He adores the holiday specials, feature films, books, action figures...the whole enchilada. He is even going to be Charlie Brown for Halloween this year. It is no surprise that last week he requested that his birthday cake be Charlie Brown themed and made by me personally. Because "mama makes me things".
|Finn's favorite shirt|
|Charlie Brown yellow|
I began my design like I do any design - by sketching. I kept these questions in mind when brainstorming...
- What symbolizes Charlie Brownieness?
- What cake decorating techniques have I seen executed on TV?
- What cake decorating techniques that I have seen on TV do I feel comfortable executing?
Here is a side view (top view is above):
Three things I learned during this process:
- Food coloring and cream cheese frosting are a bad idea (you get little white flecks no matter how much food coloring you add)
- Fondant tastes awful...but is pretty fun to sculpt.
- Piping frosting is something I would like to do again, and again.
|Dude, I made caucasian fondant!|
And who knows? Maybe my next cake will be an improvement.