The Perfect Bratwurst

Alex and I live in Wisconsin. And let me tell you about this place we live...folks here like their bratwurst. (For those who don't know, a bratwurst is a tasty German sausage.) And depending on where you're standing on the map of this state, you could fire up a heated argument as to where you buy the best brats and how they should be cooked. I am fascinated by this phenomena.

My husband (a born and bred Wisconsinite) has his own strong opinions on this subject. It's funny because our house is nearly meatless, aside from a couple times a year when then we tailgate at a Milwaukee Brewers game. Then, my husband makes some of the tastiest brats around.

Unlike other sausages, you can't just take them out of the package and throw them on the grill. They need a savory beer-bath first. Let me share it with you...

Chop a generous amount of onions, scallions, and peppers and throw them in a pot.


Then, you add a few cans of Guinness (I hear a gasp of horror coming from Ireland as I type this).



Pour in some regular beer (we keep it real Wisconsin with MGD) and Zatarains shrimp and crab boil spices.



Throw in the brats (note we boil on a propane burner).


Add a few more spices in the mix.


And start boiling...for like 2 hours. After that 2 hours, pull the brats out of the beer with tongs and brown them on a hot grill. Then, throw them back in the beer for 20 minutes...as my husband says "to juice back up". Grab a bun and garnish your juicy brat with whatever your heart desires. I myself like simply mustard and sour kraut.


All ingredients on this page are approximate. They need to be tailored to your taste. You can't really mess up unless you a.) over-boil them so they get tough or b.) add too much hot pepper flakes which is fine for some tailgate party guests, but not others.

I would LOVE to hear comments about the regional foods where you live!

–Cassandra




6 comments:

  1. my mouth is now watering! I love a good beer brat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where I grew up it was mostly Cuban so our regional specialty was Cuban sandwiches. It's roasted pork loin, ham and swiss with a hint of yellow mustard and a pickle plank on thick crusty bread. You butter the bread and heat it up like a panini but with no grill marks. Or wrap it up in tin foil and leave it in the trunk of your car like my mom did on road trips. Best eaten warm and melty. I love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I've heard of those sandwiches. They are like having a party of tasty meat in your mouth! Alex especially would be all over that one!
      –Cassandra

      Delete
  3. My husband and I are natives and we NEVER boil our brats before putting them on the grill. Isn't that funny?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda, I'm pretty sure that's illegal! Don't worry though, your secret's safe with us!
      –Cassandra

      Delete