Classic Films

Hello friends,

Alex and I mention watching TV shows and movies a lot. Mostly because one of the perks of knitting, embroidery, etc. is that you can sit and do it while watching TV.

The two of us part company sometimes when it comes to what we watch (like when Alex watches Doomsday Preppers) but mostly we agree. We can actually spend an embarrassing amount of time discussing movies and TV shows. But, I would have to say that the genre that gets us most excited is old movies Classic Films. It's another tie that binds us as friends.

Cary Grant (think of a George Clooney who smokes)

It always shocks me when I hear people of my generation say they've never seen Gone with the Wind (or any of the blockbusters of the past). Because if you've never seen a movie like that, odds are that you've never seen less well-known gems like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn or The Long Hot Summer. Tragedy.

Rita Hayworth (all this, and I sing too!)

I could wax poetic about why I love classic films, but I won't. Instead I have created a list of 10 classic films that will knock your socks off. By no means is this list my "top 10", it is more of a starting point for someone who doesn't know where to begin when it comes to picking out classic movies to watch. The catalog of those films is HUGE and I think it's helpful to see a few first off of recommendation because then you can get a feel for which type of classic film you like best.

1. Laura (a mind-trip)
2. 12 Angry Men (an emotional rollercoaster)
3. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (if you thought Liz Taylor's acting skills are overrated, think again)
4. Gigi (lushest sets and catchy tunes)
5. Mildred Pierce (Joan Crawford acts her ass off)
6. Maltese Falcon (it's Bogart, nuff said)
7. The 7-Year Itch (just plain fun)
8. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (can turn you into a straight-up steampunk)
9. Harvey (heartbreakingly charming)
10. The Searchers (deeper than you expect it to be)

Good gravy I could go on and on. What would you add to the list?

–Cassandra

4 comments:

  1. Singing in the Rain. Not only is it a fabulous example of the blockbuster MGM films, it covers the period in Hollywood where things were switching from silent films to sound.

    Also any Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers film. My personal favorite is The Gay Divorcee. And if you're not a Ginger fan, Holiday Inn is fabulous with Fred and Bing Crosby.

    Good heavens, I could go on all day. And if I get started on non-musicals...what about It Happened One Night or The Philadelphia Story. I know you've seen that one if you're a Cary Grant fan. Oooo! Or Bringing Up Baby...classic screwball comedy.

    On the don't waste your time list...Citizen Kane. Rosebud, indeed...I knew what it was from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I have to agree with you. Citizen Kane is over-rated. Do I think Orson Wells was a genius...absolutely. But more because of his performance in films like "The Third Man".

      You touched a nerve with me when you mentioned "Holiday Inn". I have a real soft spot for that movie. There is something charming about how understated it is compared to something Like White Christmas. Of course, anytime my Bingo croons...I melt. :)

      Delete
  2. I'd add To Kill a Mockingbird and some of those Fred and Ginger movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, the other day I got caught up in a Fred and Ginger roll on YouTube. I have loved them since I was a kid watching old movies all the time and I even forgot how absolutely amazing they were.

      Delete