Let the Making Begin! (tm)

Pillsbury has always encouraged consumers to "play" with their food. Sure, anyone can pop a can of crescent rolls and have flaky, buttery hot rolls for dinner but, really, where's the creativity in that?

From the Pillsbury Bake-Off to their current ad campaign (Let the Making Begin), the home of the dough-boy embraces its customers' creativity and even rewards it. And, boy let me tell you, it makes me feel horribly inadequate. LOL

The truth is, I've always liked Pillsbury's products exactly the way they are. I know what I'm getting with the Grand Biscuits or the Cinnamon Rolls (ummmmm.... cinnamon rolls). But recently, I stumbled on a recipe that needed to be made and I joined the ranks of the Pillsbury "makers".

See... I had this GIANT rib roast left over from Christmas and I needed to do something with the meat. One can only eat so many Philly cheesesteak sandwiches. So, as you do, I scoured the interwebs looking for something (anything) different to do with my leftovers. Pot pie recipes abound!

My actual, first-ever, rib roast. It was HUGE.
Okay, fair enough, I like a good pot pie but I really wanted something different. Then I found it...

In some forum, a guy posted that his wife had mixed carmelized onion, mashed potatoes, cheese, and bits of diced rib roast and stuffed "puff pastry" with that mixture. BINGO! That sounded right up my alley.

Sadly, I didn't take pictures but, believe me when I tell you, these things were a hit. My son's girlfriend called them a pot-pie calzone.

So, here's what you do:

1 Can Pillsbury BIG (Flaky or Buttery) Crescent Rolls - you need the bigger size
(I used crescent rolls but, if I make this again, I'm going to try biscuit dough - just to see how it tastes.)
Leftover mashed potatoes
Leftover meat - diced and fat removed
Diced onion, cooked slowly in olive oil (or butter) until carmelized
Cheese (I used gruyere on my son's because he doesn't eat blue cheese and gorgonzola on mine)
Herbs or seasoning that appeals to you (I used a bouquet garni blend)

Except for the rolls, mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
Open the can of rolls. Peel off two triangles. Place them on the counter (you may need a bit of flour to keep them from sticking) and press the seams closed. With one of the points pointing toward you, put a generous amount of the mashed potato mixture on half of the diamond-shaped dough. Pull the top of the dough over, encasing the mashed potato mixture and creating a triangle (like a large ravioli or calzone). Press the seams together well. I sort of folded them in on themselves and pressed them firmly together. Using a spatula (your little mashed potato pocket will be heavy!), transfer it to a baking sheet. I used parchment paper to ensure that they didn't stick. You can just spray your baking sheet with Pam if you don't have non-stick or parchment.

Once all your pockets are on the baking sheet, place in a 350 degree oven until the dough is golden brown and flaky - about 15-20 minutes (maybe??)

These were a huge hit at my house and may end up in regular rotation. It's an easy thing to make and even easier to experiement with. I can't wait to try it with other leftovers!

Bon Appetite!

- Alex

2 comments: